Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Praying for Peace

Everyone's expression is to say Happy New Year, but what do you say to someone that has terminal cancer? You still say Happy New Year.
Roger and I made it thru this Holiday, but not without some tears and sadness.
We know that this was probably our last Christmas together here on earth and I think that Roger has finally come to grips with that. He is getting weaker by the moment and his legs will not support him like they used to and that makes him very upset. He has literally been down and could not get up without help. We thank our dear neighbors Patti and Mark for being there for us just when we needed them. I don't know if there is anything that can pick up Roger's heart right now, though. Dean, our cat, is his constant companion. Faithful, loving and loyal, laying by Roger's side all day, every day, making him smile and feel loved and warm and cozy. I wish I had that effect on him and I feel that I do most of the time, but he just doesn't want me to be down. Roger knows how stubborn I am and (by the way, so is he) I guess it is because we were both brought up in strong German homes with Lutheran backgrounds. We want to go down fighting this horrible disease that has taken our lives and really tested us. Most days we do pretty well and there are days we don't, I guess that is pretty normal, whatever normal is.
I am now and always have been Roger's liason. Hospice tells us that we are in charge of who Roger wants to spend time with. If he were a well man he would want a big party with all of you there.....but he just doesn't have enough energy now in his bank for that to happen. I hope all of you understand and that you will call me to see if the day permits company. Again, he is home bound now, sleeps alot more, but the good thing is, Hospice has his pain under control for now...it is the weakness and the frail bones that slow and worry him now.
You ask and wish if there would be something that you can do?.....just send him a note and reminise with him about you and he.....make him smile , laugh or even cry....all three are good for the soul. If he can no longer read I will read the notes to him.
Pray for HIS peace and for the peace of the world.
Lovingly, Dianne and Roger and Dean( the cat that is more of a dog)

No comments:

Post a Comment